So if anybody can help on the brightness issue as well as on the frequency modification I would be very grateful!

Best wishes
Jens

On 2021-04-11 10:41 p.m., Adrian Godwin wrote:
The line oscillator has to run close to the line frequency and is then phase-locked to it by the horizontal hold mechanism. If the oscillator is tuned for 19kHz it's a big stretch to get it to sync to a 15kHz input signal.

Yes, you might be able to modify some components to slow it down, or even just change the horizontal preset frequency to get it closer  but that line oscillator is the most complex thing in as monochrome monitor. It generates a linear ramp for the horizontal coils and is also wound up with line output transformer which generates the high voltage for the tube. I guess this makes sense as during retrace the line coils are getting a big pulse to shove the spot to the other side of the screen. But drastically changing the line frequency is likely to have an effect on the line linearity and the EHT voltage.

I'm not saying don't try it - it would be very educational, though best if you can get hold of a schematic. But a lot easier to get hold of an NTSC monitor, I think. The people who maintain arcade machines have been scraping up all the large colour monitors recently but I doubt they'd have much use for a small monochrome.

If the stored energy in the line coils can be dumped into the line output transformer at the right phase of the cycle, it's saving a lot of power that would otherwise require a separate circuit. In the old days. the more use you could get out of any one vacuum tube the better, and the style persisted until multisync monitors needed to be more flexible (and even the simple earlier ones of those had more complex LOPTs to deal with the variation).