If you use 1 decoder for 6 tubes, the duty-cycle is 1/6 and it will require
more current to get the same brightness as a tube with a higher duty-cycle.
So, if you use 2 decoders, the duty-cycle is 1/3 and the peak current will
be less vs 1/6 duty cycle.

Personally, I never multiplex tubes because it requires more current per
tube, and the wearout mechanism for tubes (sputtering), increases
exponentially with current. In my opinion, IC's are cheap and readily
available whereas nixies are much more expensive and getting harder to
find, so it makes the most sense to drive the tube as gently as possible,
ie direct-drive, to prolong their life.