I wanted to try to avoid having a AC line in my design if possible. I did
have to break out my old ECE notes, and I designed a different filter.
Turns out my original RC filter requires a much larger resistor to limit
the primary side current, but that raises input resistance too high for my
40 ohm loads.

Using a different filter I had some more success:
https://www.falstad.com/circuit/circuitjs.html?ctz=CQAgjCDsB0AcYCYCsBTAtLEAGaBOWuYALFrgGwDMFRSSkSZIuuISrWr6YYAUAG7hE4Mh24IQRTB3FgscudjiKpipP0HiKZTGJDJG08PIU4pSitGJgkuBGSQUkBSLgqqeAcw3DRQsLexsT28tHSESDkieAHdvSXAA+KweACdWBB0M9J0AjhIeMDIWBBJwLIiylRx5WWY6+oaWMGhSAixato6zfzIiESJuJCxIWoRIEDQcYiwKSHbIMgQqWDkRiamSWfnF5bkqRWYYiQV-cT6iBPFkgSIKcRK8u70sKuPwQMjoNViKwseZERBH5PP4SJ4IF5BLy3e6lGF6SBXIESXqXbJo5IAYxRF0QmHOGL0lghxlJ8gQ6HG1RGuBGiGYFFsGUIyKQWVOrAWGKOdEYePR-OSsV5lRAIkyUiOHPiDwkktiun0elKSqFyukDHV3OFXI54u1Yshes1HLV+v59j5WTVsplpUFPAANjjRWyJR8WsZMJMWgwiCMEORbrBqBQhMlnb9yqjBYpjCVFNMtmAFksKCssJQgmkRfzc7ljqlDe7zQX8mlLaLK6bCwB7QIQURIay0ViKC6GDgUHj1tiN56SNwIL5xvt6Nvd3vvcZgRwpthsKbjxstSDwZA8IA

However the problem is the output voltage is somewhat determined by the
load. So if a filament burns out it can cause a cascade failure on the
other filaments as the voltage rises. I guess monitoring the AC line would
be possible but this complicates my design a bit, and I'd need a monitor
that could do negative currents/voltages if my bias is not high enough. If
such an IC exists I'd be interested, but I don't really have access to a
FPGA if that's what it takes.

It also seems it's easy to hit resonance with particular filter LC values,
boosting the voltage higher which feels a bit dangerous for the filaments.

Maybe just not having the filter would be the safest approach here. However
I'm not at all experienced in filter design especially when there is a low
impedance load involved, so maybe there's a better approach that I'm not
using.