On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 1:16 AM, Ryan Betts <rbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Curious if nvim intends to support the MS / Eclipse Che language server
> protocol (
> https://github.com/Microsoft/language-server-protocol/wiki/Protocol-Implementations.)
>
> If there is a separate discussion on this I can't find, please just direct
> me to it. I found https://github.com/neovim/neovim/issues/4982 but nothing
> more detailed.
>
> I know little about mvim's structure. Would supporting the language protocol
> be a large effort, a translation layer in front of an existing different
> protocol, or something else?  Where should I look to learn more?

The usual answer for these types of questions asking about "support
for X" is that

1. We want to make it "possible and reliable" for external plugins to
implement things like this.
2. We want to improve the "out of the box" experience where possible.
But those opportunities are difficult to analyze and recognize.

"Implementing the language server protocol" wouldn't make sense in the
Nvim core. But it could make sense to provide a user interface, such
as a standard set of keybindings, or hooks, or commands, that can be
served by backends like the language server protocol, or
YouCompleteMe, or SLIME, etc.

Improving the extensibility of completion would help things like this.
Adding the ability for arbitrary dialogs would help. Etc, etc.

Help in designing, and defining/outlining a concrete goal, and of
course coding, would be welcome. Most people are focused on other
things currently.

---

Justin M. Keyes