----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Chang" 
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:16:07 -0700
To: 
Subject: Dedicated Nessus Server


> I am currently doing some research into what it would take hardware wise to build a 
> dedicated nessus server.� This machine would be responsible for running nessus with 
> a custom set of plugins for potentially thousands of hosts.� Has anyone done 
> anything 
> similar to this?� If so, please let me know what kinds of hardware you used 
> (IDE/SCSI, 
> x86, etc) and if there are any issues I should be aware of.

I have several servers running Nessus, and I don't really think that there are any 
special considerations to take into account.  I use HP Proliant DL 360 systems, nice
and small at 1U, with 2x 3.06 GHz processors and (IIRC) 4gb of RAM.  Honestly, I 
think this is overbuilt, but it is the standard buy for low end servers.  I can
saturate the network well before I even consider exhausting RAM or CPU power.  As 
for disk space and speed, I'm not sure thats a big deal, since you are mostly 
going to be doing network i/o.  Really, any decent low end server will be able to
do the task, since the bottelneck will be the NIC in nearly all situations.

As for performance, I can scan, say, 2 /16's in 8 hours.  It takes about 45 mins 
to scan a ~50% populated /24.  I use lots of plugins (800ish) and do a TCP Connect 
scan, so, to me, it is pretty fast.  


HTH,
Ds
�

_______________________________________________
Nessus mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus

Reply via email to