On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 13:06 +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> For host2 I have "myuser" as the username and "mypassword" as the password.

What is the access control setup on "host2" ?

> For host3 I have a community name configured as "v2community". i.e
> rocommunity v2community
> rwcommunity v2community

Nooo!!!!!!
**WHY** do people insist on duplicating community settings like this.
If you've got a read-write community setting, you don't need a
read-only directive with the same community name.  read-write access
*includes* read access.  That's what the word "read" means!!!!

[Sorry - but you pushed a button!]

> when I execute a command like
> snmpget -v 3 -u myuser -n myContext -l authNoPriv -a MD5 -A mypassword
>       host2 system.sysName.0
>
> it fails

Which host is rejecting the request?
Is host2 passing it on to host3 (which then rejects it),
or does host2 reject it before it ever gets to host3?

If you run the agent on host3 using something like

        snmpd -f -Le -d

you should see packet dumps for all traffic in and out.
This should indicate whether the requests are getting that
far or not.

Dave

>                            SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
> This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged
> information. In case you are not the original intended Recipient of the
> message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute,
> print, or copy any part of this message and you are requested to delete it
> and inform the sender.

This message contains no confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged
information (regardless Of Any unconventional Capitalisation). In case
you are not the original Intended recipient Of The message, you may,
Use, disclose, Distribute, or liberally, sprinkle with excessive:
and (&) unnecessary punctuation; any part of this message that you may
find useful. If not, then feel free to delete it, but don't bother
informing the sender about such trivia.