On 16 August 2010 15:48, Robert Story <rst...@freesnmp.com> wrote:
> Well, a concern here is that trying to do something sensible for all cases is
> a bit a rats nest. Here are a few examples where the output is decidedly
> unsensible, but for which I have no easy fix:
>
> Value   Hint      Current output  Patched output
> 01AA02  "1x1x1x"  1AA2            1AA2  (no change)
>
> 010203  "1x1x:1x" 12:3            12:03  (both incorrect)

I'm less worried if a poor choice of display hint leads to
incorrectly (or sub-obtimally) formatted output.

The first hint is effectively no different to "1x"
and the second would be better written as "2x:1x"

So as long as those two formats were handled correctly,
then I'm not too bothered about the versions you suggest.

> So, if you'd like to develop a more robust fix, I'm all for it.

Below the belt!

> I'd like to go ahead an commit this fix, though, unless you think
> you'll come up with a more robust version before the next rc release...

With systems downtime tomorrow, followed by a long weekend away,
the chances of that are slim to nonexistent.

Go ahead and apply the fix, as far as I'm concerned.
The new format isn't ideal, but it's definitely better than before.

(Although strictly speaking, it's probably not correct according to
the letter of RFC  2579)

Dave