On 22 October 2010 14:45, Doug Manley <doug.man...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To address this, we see two possible solutions:
> 1. Force every agent on the planet to support proper RequestIDs.
> 2. Add an option to net-snmp to wrap request IDs on the 31-bit boundary.
>
> I don't think that option #1 is viable, and my company needs to have
> this "solved" in some manner fairly shortly.

  $ man snmp.conf

  16bitIDs yes
      restricts requestIDs, etc to 16-bit values.
      The SNMP specifications define these ID fields as
       32-bit quantities, and the Net-SNMP library typically
       initialises them to random values for security. However
       certain (broken) agents cannot handle ID values greater
       than 2^16 - this option allows interoperability with such agents.

> I also don't think that we should force net-snmp to perform poorly
> because some manufacturers can't count past 31 bits.  I think that an
> *option*, however, either to net-snmp itself or to a particular
> session would address the problem.

We agree.
Which is why this particular option was introduced in 2003 :-)

Dave