Hi,

Our system uses Net-SNMP on both ends of the AgentX master/subagent
relationship.  With Net-SNMP 5.5, everything was very stable.  With
Net-SNMP 5.6, the subagent occasionally reconnects after a period of
not being able to serve its objects.

The subagent tracing looks like it stops getting requests from the
master, pings a few times, with responses to the pings, and then finds
that the session is disconnected:

agentx/subagent: handling agentx request (req=0x50fa0,trans=0x50f9f,sess=0x9)
agentx/subagent:   -> get
agentx/subagent: handling AgentX response (cmd 0xa2 orig_cmd 0x05)
agentx/subagent:   FINISHED
agentx/subagent: checking status of session 0x9ebb6e0
agentx/subagent: synching input, op 0x01
agentx/subagent: session 0x9ebb6e0 responded to ping
agentx/subagent: checking status of session 0x9ebb6e0
agentx/subagent: synching input, op 0x01
agentx/subagent: session 0x9ebb6e0 responded to ping
agentx/subagent: checking status of session 0x9ebb6e0
agentx/subagent: synching input, op 0x01
agentx/subagent: session 0x9ebb6e0 responded to ping
agentx/subagent: transport disconnect indication

The master agent thinks that it sent a request but never got a
response to it (note that this is a different session, I have not yet
been able to get tracing from master and subagent simultaneously):

agentx/master: agentx master handler starting, mode = 0xa0
agentx/master: request for variable (SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.16.1.4.1.2.23)
agentx/master: request for variable (IP-MIB::ipAdEntNetMask.172.17.11.144)
agentx/master: sending pdu (req=0x1fda6,trans=0x1fda5,sess=0x9)
agentx_build: packet built okay
agentx_build: packet built okay
agentx_build: packet built okay
agentx_build: packet built okay
agentx_build: packet built okay
agentx_build: packet built okay
agentx/master: timeout on session 0xb84fb2c0 req=0x1fda6
agentx/master: close 0xb84fb2c0, -1
agentx/master: close transport

Note that it's 20,000 or more requests before this occurs.

I'm going to continue debugging this; I plan to make sure that the
master side logs ping responses and improve the subagent logs to be
able to correlate them better with the master logs, but was wondering
if anyone else had run into this phenomenon with 5.6.

(I've already diffed agent/mibgroup/agentx between 5.5 and 5.6, it's
almost all cleanups that can't explain this; there's something more
subtle going on somewhere.)

Thanks,
  Bill