On 18 December 2012 05:53, Zheng, Wenjie (Barclay)
<barclay.zh...@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> We have concern to keep a cache of index, we might need audit to detect
> the mismatch between cache and external data.

How rapidly is the data changing?
If you took two snapshots, say 5 seconds apart, how likely is it that
they would be different?
What about 2 seconds?

It depends on the size and complexity of the table (and the exact
approach you use
to implement the table), but it's not implausible that walking an
external table "directly"
might actually end up *more* likely to have the underlying data change
during the
course of traversing the table, leading to inconsistent information.
  At least with a cache, the admin knows (or can be reasonably
confident) that the
information received is consistent.

The other question is how often are rows added/deleted?
If the number and indexing of rows is relatively static (and it's just the
data values that change rapidly), then you could keep a local cache of
the row indexes (and use a more efficient approach to detecting which
row(s) were required), and then retrieve the current live data from
within the handler itself.

Just a thought.

Dave