For sure, you are not the first person that has to do something like that. I
was assigned a similar work for a VSAT network equipment more than 10 years
ago. I used SNMPv2c and the NET-SNMP implementation. It was done, although I
would not say it was easy.

If you want to do it with SNMP, through the snmpd daemon, then you should
extend it. I would recommend you to make your application alarmd a subagent
with AgentX protocol. You will have to define first a MIB, in ASN.1 notation,
to declare the SNMP interface to your application and your alarms. Then, run
the so called mib2c scripts to generate C code skeletons.

There are plenty of examples and tutorials about how to do this in the NET-SNMP
website. The information is detailed, although sometimes incomplete. It does
not follow a clear path towards a concrete objective. There are a lot of
digressions, a lot of options, but after several hours reading and of trials
and errors, you can get the idea of how it works. Well, there is not a single
solution to this question of implementing SNMP agents, so I suppose it is the
only way it can be.

I don’t know if your topic is right for this list or maybe it is better for the
users list, but I would like to know how this ends. ☺

Best,

David