On Thu, Apr 12, 2018, at 10:03 AM, Bill Fenner wrote:
> I'm sorry that I wasn't available for this meeting.  I think one important
> pain point is the overhead of doing releases - 5.7.3 was years ago and
> there are very useful fixes in the 5.7 branch; why can't we just say "now's
> a good time for 5.7.4 and if we don't get it right then we can release
> 5.7.5 soon"?  To be fair, I've never driven a net-snmp release so I don't
> know what's involved.

I think from a project morale perspective it will be good to get a 5.7.4 out.
At the very least, it'll show the world that the project is active (or active
again if they choose to see it that way). Is there a working list of what
bugs/features are planned for 5.7.4; if so, can that be finalized at this point?

>   Bill
>

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Ian Bruene <ianbru...@icei.org> wrote:
>

> > This morning we (Keith, Ian) met with an assortment of the NET-SNMP
> > developers / contributors (primarily Bart Van Assche) to discuss how we
> > could best help the project. The meeting went well, at least form our
> > perspective.
> >
> > The pain points we identified were:
> >
> > * bug mountain
> >
> > * help users on the mailing list
> >
> > * patch / MR handling process
> >
> > * move out of SourceForge

If a release of 5.7.4 is done in the next month or so, that might also be a
good time to put up the "we're moving" sign. If we can get a few people whose
done this before to get together, coming up with the plan could be done in
parallel with the 5.7.4 work.

> > * clean up headers in /include/net-snmp/system/ which are a mess and have
> > import loops
> >
> > * #ifdef hell / too many supported configurations
> >
> > Keith is currently focused on streamlining the process of handling merge
> > requests, which will make it easier to handle the bug mountain. I will
> > probably be focusing on the headers for now in hopes that it will make
> > other processes easier as well. We can help on the repo move whenever y'all
> > are ready to pull the trigger on that.

I have a few questions for the core team regarding this; expect another email
to the mailing list in a little bit.

> > --
> > *"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A Man
> > Chooses, a Slave Obeys."* -- Andrew Ryan
> >
> > *"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit
> > to occupy it."* -- Sophia Lamb
> >
> > I work for the Internet Civil Engineering Institute <https://icei.org/>,
> > help us save the Internet from Entropy!

Thanks,