From: Wes Hardaker [mailto:harda...@users.sourceforge.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 12:46 PM
To: Madhusudhana R <madhusudhan...@in.abb.com>
Cc: net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Netsnmpv5.8 possible security flaw

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content
is safe.

Madhusudhana R <madhusudhan...@in.abb.com> writes:

> With Netsnmp v5.8  upgraded to my project (which was already working
> with v5.7.3), I am finding one problem which is as described below.
>
> An user is created in agent (which is netsnmp v5.8)

How did you configure the access control of the agent?  Specifically, if you
have a line like "rwuser NAME" in it, you MUST change it to "rwuser NAME priv"
to force encryption-only traffic.  Otherwise the agent will answer with both
encrypted and unencrypted requests (but still authenticated).  I suspect that
this is your issue, and your network management software is attempting (and
succeeding) at falling back to unencrypted.

--
Wes Hardaker
Please mail all replies to net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net