I'm running Net-SNMP 5.1.2-rc2 on a Red Hat 8.0 system.  This server functions
as a PPP Concentrator and thus has anywhere from 400-500 PPP interfaces "up"
at any given time in addition to two Ethernet interfaces.

I am using OpenNMS 1.1.2 to monitor this server and others like it.

When OpenNMS runs its SNMP "discovery" process it appears to query for all
the interfaces on the Concentrator system.  Shortly after the query begins,
Net-SNMP hangs and is non-responsive until the daemon is killed and restarted.

>From observing the output with tcpdump, I see that some responses get back
initially, but eventually cease altogether.  I started snmpd with the -D -f
-Le options to see if I could figure out what was going on.  Far too much
meaningless debug output for my eyes, but data was certainly scrolling by at
a rapid rate even while the SNMP server appeared to be hung as far as outside
programs were concerned.

What scrolls by mostly is the following:

trace: handle_getnext_loop(): snmp_agent.c, 2644:
results:        trace: sprint_realloc_by_type(): mib.c, 1971:
output: sprint_by_type, type 5
. = NULL

Literally hundreds of times at a very high rate.  Occasionally a large chunk
of "PPP PPP PPP" and so forth scrolls by and then the previous block continues
looping in its place.

I've brought this to the attention of the OpenNMS people, but many of them
tell me they are monitoring boxes with that number of interfaces with no
problems and suggesteted I check here for any suggestions.

A normal snmpwalk doesn't appear to freeze up Net-SNMP.

I should mention that I have tried both SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c queries from
OpenNMS to see if the issue was exclusive to one version or the other.  No
difference however.

Hope someone can give me some ideas!

Ray Van Dolson