From: Bill Fenner [mailto:fen...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:12 AM
To: Joan Landry
Cc: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: row merge issue -possible bug

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Joan Landry <joan.lan...@overturenetworks.com>
wrote:
> I am seeing an issue (possible bug) in the code where a getnext row merge
> results in the wrong result. Code uses row_merge helpers.
>
> Does the incoming request need to be sequentially numbered oid's to work or
> is this a bug in net-snmp?
>
> This fails to get the correct result:
> snmpgetnext -c public -v 2c x.x.x.x
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.4444.2.11.1.2.1.1.11.1
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.4444.2.11.1.2.1.1.10.1
>
> SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4444.2.11.1.2.3.1.2.1 = STRING: "Main board"
> SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4444.2.11.1.2.3.1.2.1 = STRING: "Main board"
>
> This works:
>
> snmpgetnext -c public -v 2c x.x.x.x
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.4444.2.11.1.2.1.1.10.1
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.4444.2.11.1.2.1.1.11.1
>
> SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4444.2.11.1.2.1.1.11.1 = ""
> SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4444.2.11.1.2.3.1.2.1 = STRING: "Main board"

Disclaimer: I know *nothing* about the row_merge helper.

When using table_iterator, we found that it would mishandle multiple requests
in ordered tables, if the requests were ordered "backwards"
as you found.  E.g.,

snmpget -v 2c -c public blue ifInOctets.43 ifInOctets.44
IF-MIB::ifInOctets.43 = Counter32: 483792666
IF-MIB::ifInOctets.44 = Counter32: 1470706044

vs.

snmpget -v 2c -c public blue ifInOctets.44 ifInOctets.43
IF-MIB::ifInOctets.44 = Counter32: 1474004919
IF-MIB::ifInOctets.43 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID

We found that injecting the netsnmp_get_serialize_handler resolved our problem.
 Again, I know nothing about the row_merge helper, so I don't know if injecting
the serialize handler is a significant performance hit for you.

  Bill