Blessings NET-SNMP List Users and Lurkers!

I'm running Linux Mint 18.3 Mate 64-bit from LiveMedia (ROM).

I have a Managed Switch that I am trying to control on my LAN.

I need to determine if NET-SNMP is loaded:
   If it is NOT, I load it.
   else I proceed.

I have discovered that my normal test for a package loaded:

  if snmpget -V | grep -q 'NET-SNMP'

is **FALSE** even if the package IS LOADED!

The reason is that "snmpget -V" returns the VERSION, but it returns it on STDERR ... NOT STDOUT as it is supposed to ???

PROOF:  Write STDOUT to "ok" file; write STDERR to "bad" file.

    mint@mint ~/Desktop $ snmpget -V 1> ok.txt 2> bad.txt

ok.txt    is EMPTY
bad.txt   contains "NET-SNMP version: 5.7.3"

I can program around this, but I found this situation VERY unusual!

Thanks for the GREAT software package ... the GET and SET commands were easy to set up and work GREAT for my system!

Blessings in abundance, all the best,
"Webtest"
Art in Carlisle PA USA