Dear all

I would like to share information about our forthcoming symposium at
Watermans, On Technology and the Nature of Truth, which might be of
interest to some of you.

The event is free, but we have limited spaces; you can book a place here:
https://www.watermans.org.uk/events/trajectories-symposiumon-technology-and-the-nature-of-truth/

*On Technology and the Nature of Truth*
*Watermans*
*Saturday 3 March, 11.30 - 16.30 *

In the current age of rapid changes, challenges, and accelerating
technological developments, we are being swallowed by constant information
streams and a hyper-networked world. We now have at our disposal access to
digital tools and vast amounts of knowledge, being connected more than
ever, yet, we are deluged with misinformation and uncertainty.

In a digital age, where technology is inseparable from our everyday life,
we know very little about it; we are oblivious to what lies beneath the
shiny surface and issues behind our tech.
Algorithms designed to customise our news feeds gives us what we and our
associates want to see, while the same algorithms evaluate our work,
monitor our health, assess our eligibility for loans, calculate the cost of
our insurance, target us for votes, and so on. These are just some of the
areas where mathematical models, rather than humans, make decisions that
affect our lives. And as we now know, these systems can be unregulated,
biased and lack transparency. Very often they are wrong but also
indisputable.

These examples of technological integration in all aspects of our lives
lead to many questions.
One such question is if we are slowly moving into a world that we can no
longer control.
How can art help us reflect and engage critically with moral and ethical
debates at a time when environmental, social, political, economic and
humanitarian crises abound? Can art help us look beyond the surface and
navigate through a complex technological world? How can art activity power
social, political, economic or environmental action or even change? And how
can education prepare us for the future?

In a day of conversation and talks we are inviting artists, thinkers,
educators, activists and the public to help us explore some of these
questions.

*SCHEDULE*
11.30 Introduction: Irini Papadimitriou
11.40 Opening talk on technology and the nature of truth: Georgia Dyer-Ward
<https://www.nesta.org.uk/users/georgia-ward-dyer>
12.10 Panel discussion: technology, society and the critical role of art: Bill
Balaskas <http://www.billbalaskas.com/>, Georgia Dyer-Ward, Luba Elliott
<http://elluba.com/>, Nye Thompson <http://www.nyethompson.co.uk/>
13.30 lunch break
14.30 Session introduction: Eszter Bircsák
<https://eszterbircsak.wordpress.com/>
14.45 Art and participation: There There performance company, Dana Olărescu
<https://www.therethere.eu/>
15.00 Interventionist spaces for education, Jon Halls
<https://www.jonhallsillustration.com/> and Jaione Cerrato
15.15 Participate! The importance of non-formal education and counter
narrative, mediated discussion by Dana Olărescu and Eszter Bircsák
16.15 Closing remarks
16.20 Symposium ends

Best wishes
Irini