And for those of you who have a connection with the course and with Writtle,
please leave a comment...If you're an artist or writer &c any sort also please
identify yourself... :)I'm pasting below my sig the motion passed today nem con
in our UCU branch meeting..Please also tweet, FB, e mail...thanks!MichaelSign
the Petition

|   |    |

|    |
Sign the Petition
 tessmat...@gmail.com: Defend Education at Writtle university College! No to
course cuts, no to redundancies!  |   |

This branchfeels a sense of déjà vu. This branchnotes that whilst members,
otherteachers and support staff were conscientiously doing their usual best
theentire senior management team failed.Failed to see any problem coming,
failed to open up any sort of discussionand failed to show any concern forstaff
as evidenced by the inept and cold-blooded way in which a package ofcourse cuts
and job losses was presented as a fait accompli, the day before theEaster
holiday weekend. This branch notes the Vice Chancellor’shighly insulting
comment  “We have not driven the businessto achieve excellence – our portfolio,
in HE especially, is too broad for us tobe outstanding in all fields of study”
(‘Strategic Change Agenda’ p3bullet point three) This branchnotes that the VC
and presumably theSMT believes that Writtle University College is a ‘business’
(ibid.) rather than an educationalinstitution. This branchnotes the hugely
successful campaignwaged by our colleagues in the pre 1992 universities to
defend their pensionrights and also the recent no-confidence vote by Open
University UCU members intheir vice chancellor when faced with a similar
package of cuts, a similarrationale and similarly insulting language. This
branchbelieves in education. This branchbelieves that the entire SLT atWrittle
has failed, we have no confidence in it and therefore resolve to call upon all
its members toresign forthwith and for the governors to replace it with a team
which believesthat the 100 year plus educational legacy of Writtle deserves
celebrating and defending,rather than yet another round of cuts. This
branchfurther resolves to call upon thegovernors to withdraw the cuts and
closure proposal by the end of this week. Ifthe package is not withdrawn then a
dispute will exist between the UCU and WUCand we will seek permission to ballot
for industrial action. This branchresolves to inform students of whatis
happening, both directly and through the NUS and to seek their activesupport
for a public campaign against the cuts package including, but notlimited to,
social media and a Change.org petition.  In additionwe resolve to seek common
ground infighting the cuts with our colleagues in other WUC unions and other
UCUbranches. Passed nem.con.