HI Edward I just wanted to respond very briefly to your comments ( and, in
passing, to a remark of Alan's arising from them). I'll say again you
engagement with the piece is generous and it's lovely to have someone both read
it and think about it hard enough to write a very cogent response.
The problem I have with what you write, fluent and compelling as it is ( and as
I would expect from you), is that you are addressing a different piece from the
one I wrote and in the process you erect a giant straw person.
At no point do I every use the word 'value' in relation to art . My compass
here is much narrower -I address simply the question of art and knowledge, as
in the title.
I try and show that by a traditional philosophical definition of knowledge it
is unhelpful and indeed ultimately either trivial or nonsensical to assert that
all art produces knowledge in that sense of 'true facts about the world'.
Equally problematic is a world where by bureaucratic ( research council,
academic &c) fiat art is divided into knowledge producing or not. I then look
at another candidate for knowledge - Ryle's 'knowledge how' and observe that
this is clearly a well founded concept but not reducible to the first kind and
I take this fact as encouragement to seek other distinct phenonema that one
might reasonably term knowledge. The one I describe and dub knowledge-with I
assert is found in all art works. ( If I have to I'd be prepared to limit that
to 'all art works to date' although I actually think this is not necessary). I
deliberately do not raise the question of how in any specific case this might
contribute to the 'value' of any art work except to suggest at the end that
along with other factors it might do so in some way ( and in fairness I do
imply by the presence of the Harman quote at the start that my ideas might help
us in fleshing out his insight)
I am aware that to some extent my suggested universality of this form of
knowledge in artworks might be regarded as definitional ( and hence contrary to
Alan's Wittgensteinian proclivities, which I share) I would reply to this that
its presence might very well be a necessary but not sufficient condition of
arthood. I can imagine all sorts of things conveying my 'knowledge with' -a
particularly sensitive letter of condolence for example, without the thing
remotely becoming a candidate for being art.
I don't believe that this would undermine a Wittgensteinian approach since even
in the canonic 'games', if we generalise enough we can find some  basic
condition necessary to all our examples -  'involves in some sense a human
being' ( true even of two chess playing computers) or 'can be glossed in
words'.Far from being formulaic I'm incredibly tentative about drawing wider
conclusions about value or even definition from what I write.
There is a great deal to chew over in what you write - I agree with some parts
& disagree with others but that would be a different ( although interesting)
discussion from the one my piece attempts to start...
but again, thanks!cheersMichael