A beautiful weaving here, and I hope that my theory/exegesis/whatever
hasn't disrupted the flow of poetics that also underlies what I do, what
you do.
The viola-garb is almost clown-like, which is necessary for de/markating of
course. All of this work, and yours too, and dance/theater is almost always
DIWO, networked, I think.
Which is why, at least when I worked with Foofwa for example, I felt that
our work with others was also DIWO. There's a question of skill as well.
Who are the O? For me, there's a huge range but I know when I work with
skillful musicians, or dancers, or actors, it can be a great relief;
something emerges that's the result of relief in relation to the body.
Years ago, I worked with untrained performers in works that involved
acting; I think the results were clumsy at times. Then I was able to work
with a professional actress, and the emergence gave me more freedom. On the
other hand, working with non-actors, something else emerged, a kind of
energy and experimentation... With musicians, though, I can get frustrated
if they're not able to listen. I know this is often against the grain.
There are questions here, then, what level of skill? Who are the O? How
should this be as broad as possible? Or the opposite? Coding is another
example; I've learned so much from generous skillful people! So many people
have shared their code, for example, in Second Life, or years ago taught me
the finer points of being a nuisance in IRC. Again, then, who are O? If I
involve community in general (and in curating I do deeply; in my own work,
it's more difficult), what is gained? What might be lost? Surely identity
politics plays a role here; if I did a piece in Finsbury Park, I'd want to
involve everyone who would want to participate!

I keep going back to Foofwa, who spoiled me. When we worked on a
performance, say for a ten minute video, he'd warm up for at least a couple
of hours. And then working together was fantastic; it was deeply open
collaboration, he seemed capable of anything...

And now he does danceruns on the streets of various cities and the public
joins in, and it's amazing!

Best, Alan, thanks -