Some obscure but interesting stay-at-home findings.

I found this today in a new book I'm reading by John Kabat-Zinn, Meditation is
Not What You Think (2018), introduction xxix-xxx:

"It turns out that we all have, lying deep within us, in our hearts and in our
very bones, a capacity for a dynamic, vital, sustaining inner peacefulness and
well-being, and for a huge, innate, multifaceted intelligence that goes way
beyond the merely conceptual.  When we mobilize and refine that capacity and
put it to use, we are much healthier physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
And much happier.  Even our thinking becomes clearer, and we are less plagued
by storms in the mind.
"This capacity for paying attention and for intelligent action can be
cultivated, nurtured, and refined beyond our wildest dreams if we have the
motivation to do so.  Sadly, as individuals, that motivation often comes only
when we have already experienced a life-threatening disease or a severe shock
to the system that may leave us in tremendous pain in both soma and psyche.  It
may only come, as it does for so many of our patients taking the MBSR program
in the Stress Reduction Clinic, once we are rudely awakened to the fact that no
matter how remarkable our technological medicine, it has gross limitations that
make complete cures a rarity, treatment often only a rear-guard action to
maintain the status quo, if there is any effective treatment at all, and even
diagnosis of what is wrong an inexact and too often woefully inadequate
science."

For comparison, this passage from Marvin Minsky, Society of Mind, (1988) p. 80,
also read today for the first time:

"And as for what we call 'intelligence,' my view is that each person who can
speak coherently already has the better part of what our heroes have.  Then
what makes genius appear to stand apart, if we each have most of what it takes?
"I suspect that genius needs one thing more: in order to accumulate outstanding
qualities, one needs unusually effective ways to learn....It is those hidden
tricks of mental management that produce the systems that create those works of
genius....
"Finally, an awful thought: perhaps what we call genius is rare because our
evolution works without respect for individuals.  Could any tribe or culture
endure in which each individual discovered novel ways to think?  If not, how
sad, since the genes for genius might then lead not to nurturing, but only to
frequent weeding-out."

Finally this from Duncan Watts, Small Worlds, (1999), pp. 221-222, read today
for the first time:

"In summary, the introduction of the topologies of Part I to games of
cooperation seems to have a significant impact on both the emergence of
cooperative behavior in a homogeneous population and the evolution (or, more
accurately, preferential reproduction) of cooperative strategies in a
heterogeneous population.  Unfortunately it is difficult to draw much in the
way of generally applicable lessons from this, except that in the case of
Generalized Tit-for-Tat strategies, cooperation tends to do worse in poorly
clustered graphs such as random graphs.  This seems to be because cooperation,
as defined by the Prisoner's Dilemma and strategies like Tit-for-Tat, relies
for its success upon a group of cooperators banding together against the evils
of an uncooperative world and scoring points by cooperating with each other.
Once a few defectors can infiltrate this seed, by way of shortcuts, then the
fledgling cooperation rots from the core out and collapses.  In the context of
the evolution of strategies, however, this does not always seem to be the case,
as (recall Fig. 8.13) cooperation seems sometimes to evolve preferentially in
small-world (but not random) graphs.
"There is, however, a more positive spin to this story: for at least some range
of h, cooperation does just fine in a small world (although not in a random
one).  This may have implications for organizational design, where both the
efficient transmission of information and generally cooperative behaviour are
advantageous to an organization's performance.  Solving optimisation problems
like this by varying the connectivity of networks is not an approach that has
received much attention, but it may turn out to be useful in a whole range of
applications."