Hi Alan,

Thanks for the input. I did a search for 'abacus art' and some interesting
stuff came up.

It's interesting to think about the pixel as having potential, especially
when that potential is failure. And, I guess that's really what I'm
considering. That is, creating pieces that don't work in their "natural"
environment, the browser. For instance, if I create a web page that uses
javascript to draw a blue line on a blue background, the line isn't going
to be visible. It fails to produce the work in a compelling way because my
compositional considerations (the dynamics between the line and the
background) are lost. But if I "interpret" that code in wood and glue a
block of blue wood onto a blue panel, the line will be visible. It
strengthens the composition. So, it could be argued that the environment
that is intended to interpret that code fails while the same interpretation
in a physical material produces a completely different and possibly better
version.