From: NetBehaviour <netbehaviour-boun...@lists.netbehaviour.org> on behalf of
Ruth Catlow via NetBehaviour <netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 4:52 AM
To: NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
<netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Cc: Ruth Catlow <ruthcat...@gmail.com>; Danielle Imara <danielleim...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] 3rd Be-coming Tree Global Live Art Event

Thanks for sharing this Danielle,

And this prompts me to share Making Kin with the Machines, a wonderful article
by Jason Lewis, Noelani Arista, Archer Pechawis and Suzanne Kite.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326614247_Making_Kin_with_the_Machines

I first came across it republished as a chapter in the (very enjoyable) Atlas
of Anomalous AI<https://ignota.org/products/atlas-of-anomalous-ai> edited by
Ben Vickers & K Allado-McDowel.

It proposes that indigenous protocols and customs are an expression of the best
ontologies and epistemologies for healing the land and should therefore be
central to all AI developments.
Drawing on a range of indigenous systems of knowledge it argues convincingly
against the grave error of centering of human flourishing in Joi Ito's
Resisting Reduction
Manifesto<https://jods.mitpress.mit.edu/pub/resisting-reduction/release/17>.
They argue that because knowledge is born of relationship with the land, human
ethics demands disciplined and respectful making kin with all things (who are
also beings) on earth - aiming for long term balance, and openness to the
mystery of relating to multiple sentiences.

I think this struck me especially strongly as I have spent the winter holidays
taking solace in tramping through dank woodlands and a powerful feeling of
being welcomed by the society of trees that live there.

Warmly
Ruth

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 9:13 AM Danielle Imara via NetBehaviour
<netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org<mailto:netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>>
 wrote:
Be-coming Tree

On Saturday Jan 9th 31 live artists from across the globe will interact with a
chosen tree simultaneously for one hour. These durational artworks will be
accessed via a shared Zoom webinar. Audiences will see artists in their
landscapes in Africa, Asia, North and South America, and all over Europe on the
same screen. There will be a live soundscape created from tree data via
analogue synths playing throughout. Tickets (pay what you can) include a
donation to plant a rainforest tree.
I am humbled by the quality of artists taking part in the event!
This entanglement with nature and technology inspires reciprocity with nature
and a sense of global kinship with artists and their trees, while contributing
to reforestation. Tickets: https://tinyurl.com/y8n3unu3

www.danielleimara.com<http://www.danielleimara.com>
Insta: @danielleimara
+447903684863

Co-founder & Artistic director of Furtherfield & DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab
+44 (0) 77370 02879

*I will only agree to speak at events that are racially and gender balanced.

**sending
thanks<https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2019/november/think-before-you-thank-if-every-brit-sent-one-less-thank-you-email-a-day-we-would-save-16433-tonnes-of-carbon-a-year-the-same-as-81152-flights-to-madrid.html>
 in advance

Furtherfield disrupts and democratises art and technology through exhibitions,
labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
furtherfield.org<http://www.furtherfield.org/>

DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub

decal.is<http://www.decal.is>

Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London, EC1A
9ET.