Welcome to Mastodon, Marc and all the others who have joined recently. Since I've been following everyone who has posted their address here, I'm @ader...@post.lurk.org

Thanks for starting this thread, Marc. When I started reading, I was reminded of writing for the Furtherfield blog in 2007 about my first experiences with social media at that time, which expanded when I started following Charles Hutchins around the Internet, which I have continued doing for fifteen years now, which is how I ended up on Mastodon in 2018. Over the years, though, I have also followed you across so many different social media platforms, which ultimately ended up becoming disappointing.

And so we keep returning to this mailing list - thanks for that!

What I like about Mastodon is the feeling that there is no pressure to keep up with everything all the time. When I feel like checking Mastadon, I usually end up having enjoyable exchanges about whatever random posts happen to show up at that moment, but I'm not tempted to start doomscrolling and I don't feel I'm missing out on something else.

I'm also primarily responsible for the account for the collective where I live now (@willyfredh...@social.servus.at), so there I have made a point of following other collectives and community initiatives. I enjoy how different that account is from my personal one.

Recently I also made an account on Systerserver (@ail...@systerserver.town), because I would like to become more involved there. I don't want to cross-post, though, so I am still figuring out how the two accounts are different.

So off we go on the next experiment, but still with the reassurance that this list keeps going, no matter what other platforms do or don't do.

All the best,
Aileen