Dear all I was too appalled to participate in any discussion about what is
happening in Palestine just now. But I was so touched by Alan's powerful
lyrics that I wanted to share my little contribution.
I come to Ramallah in the West Bank in 2001, invited by the European
Community to make a tour through Palestinian cultural centres.
We were a group of maybe 16 or 18, dancers, actors, writers, painters. We
were greeted by politicians and intellectuals we visited Mahmoud Darwish in
his house and saw theater and exhibitions.
We were planning to go to Jerusalem but a bomb exploded somewhere and the
second Intifada started.
Our group was evacuated to the hotel Ambassador in the Arab part of the
city very near the Swedish consulate.
We spent there a week awaiting the permits for leaving. It was a chaotic
lobby with people being evacuated from Gaza Nablus Jericho Bethlehem.
We left and we asked out Palestinian hosts what could we do to support them.
They said come back don't forget us a people occupied and desperate.
We need witness.
Some months later my friend the Swedish visual artist Cecilia Parsberg and
me travelled again in our own paying our oxn expenses and we arrived to
Jenin a city in the North near Haifa which was besieged by the Israeli army
since ten days back.
Nobody knew what's happened all communication was broken no telephone no
radio no tv no journalists.
We travelled with smugglers through a mined landscape and we arrived to
Jenin which was surrounded by huge tanks. We climbed the hills with
hundreds of Palestinian and we come to a place of devastation very similar
to what's Gaza today.
It smelled acred and rancid tens of bodies were dead among the rubble of
demolished houses. We spent a few days taking pictures speaking with people
and writing articles.
www.ceciliaparsberg.se/jenin

It was twenty years ago but the pictures could have been taken yesterday as
the texts could also be written today.

The war and the attacks of Hamas happened not in a vacuum they are the
direct consequences of the occupation.

I was in Tel Aviv invited by Gush Shalom and Bat Shalom the small and
courageous peace movements in Israel grounded by Uri Avnery Hawa Keller and
others, survivors of Auschwitz and Dachau.

They took me to the Knesset where we met hundreds of your refuseniks girls
and boys everyone held by their hands by grandparents survivors of the
camps.

The elder said to the Israeli brass "we barely survived we lost everything
but we learned morality and solidarity we can never submit another people
for what they did to us. Revenge is not a Jewish value".

I read the same words today there are many soldiers refusing to enter Gaza
and participate in this revenge war.

Israel should learn peace is not gained militarily and safety and security
are only achieved with justice.

Israel must end the occupation and the Palestinian need their own state now.

Ana