james jwm-art net a écrit :
> On 15/8/2007, "ARN"  wrote:
>
>>> I think I preferred the images to be honest. This I can't quite tell
>>> what it is meant to do. I can't help thinking it does not what it's
>>> meant to.
>> why always looking for a meaning ? i'm not sure something should always
>> mean something (else than what it is, in reality). in fact, to be honest
>> too, i believe in the contrary: a piece of art should not have a
>> determined meaning, so it remain open to high potential of
>> interpretations (for those looking for meaning).
>> art is not communication, despite the big current confusion.
>
> this is a fair point, but i've been more trying to understand what is
> happening rather than 'what it means' - though that could be
> considered meaning. i program now and again. i naturally expect things
> to be clear and this is not clear: what is happening when i do this or
> that with it?
>
> :)

a software is always a black box for the user. what happens is in the
dark layers of codes, protocols, hardwares and networks. the program
layer i did with PHP/XHTML is also full of black boxes to me, for
example i really don't know what happen at the C level of PHP on the
server within an imap PHP function. so things can not be clear at all
levels for a given point of view. what can be clarified by you is the
relations you make in your mind while experiencing the work. in this
way, clarifying = experiencing.

>>> Like what was said about the images, can't there be more
>>> control over it? Instead of chars to link/click, a string to
>>> type/submit. ??? [slightly overwhelmed] ???
>> and.. why are you looking for more control ?
>
> i don't know. perhaps control was the wrong word. perhaps influence is a
> better word. a greater array of influence, or choice in the matter, just
> to be able to....
>
>> http://www.x257.com/asrf/ seems not to be a tool allowing you to produce
>> something you have the feeling to choose, it looks more like a simple
>> coded machine in the networked reality we share.
>
> but a machine, in the traditional sense has a purpose, function,
> predicatability. this is purposeless and therefor of no value ( ? )

i don't think there is such a direct link between machine, purpose and
value, especially with art practices. think about works by Jean Tinguely
for example.

>>> it's too spammy.
>> may be, that's a matter of style perception concerning machine outputs.
>>

> hmmm. does that not count for anything?  :)

outputs are important, as inputs, and output style is partly defined by
    input style, but in the case of this work, style is a kind of
undefined parameter.

about this work, you can also read:
http://www.neural.it/nnews/asrfg.htm

(this text is also a black box for me ;-)