Hi Alan,

My phrase below is obviously an oversimplification of Bakhtin's
position. Along with J.L. Austin and Lakoff/Johnson, Bakhtin provides
an alternative to the idea that language somehow stands outside of
the world and re-presents it (or wholly constitutes it, or plays a
game regardless of it), as if language is a system that can be
analyzed and uderstood apart from historical instances of embodied
utterance. It's not to say that matter equals language and
vice-versa. There are obviously radical differences. It is to say
that language and matter are perpetually enmeshed and refracting.
Language alters "culture" which alters matter. Material contingency
(vocal inflection, bodily gesticulation, historical context, a
recently intense bowel movement, the light in my eyes) alter uttered
instances of language which collectively alter consensually agreed
upon nuances of linguistic meaning. Language as performed, embodied,
historically contingent event/force.

Deleuze/Guattari talk about the regime of language as one among many
regimes (regime of geology, regime of the human face, regime of
movement through space, etc.). Language received an inordinately
important amount of attention at the end of the last century, mostly
by sedentary humans who write a lot of language.  But language is one
of many refracting forces at play. Words get the last word (amongst
humans who value words), while the world modulates forward with[in]
and without words.

Or so my words assert.

Best,
Curt