Hi Rob,

Thanks for your references in response to the article I posted th eother
day. Your last sentence said "Regarding social media workerism, if people
want to be paid for using Facebook there's already a market in that but
it's probably not one they'd like to participate in" and you pointed us to
'bot-bubble click farms' by Doug Bock Clark, which is very interesting -
http://bit.ly/1JUrJHA

Not sure if you remember -- anyhoooo... I write an article/interview in
2013 on furtherfield called 'Commodify Us: Our Data Our Terms'
http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/commodify-us-our-data-our-terms
- now, I interviewed Walter Langelaar about the project Commodify.Us.

"A significant value offered by the Commodify.Us platform is the power to
manage our own data. The simple act of downloading our own data from
Facebook, and then uploading it to Commodify.Us supports us to rethink what
all this information is. What once was just abstract data suddenly becomes
material that we can manipulate. Alongside this realization arrives the
understanding that this material was made by our interactions with all
these platforms, and that other people are spying on us and making money
out of it all. Once this data material is uploaded onto the Commodify.Us
platform, it asks if we want this stuff to be a product under our own
terms, or if we wish to make art out of it using their tools.

This is a cultural shift that demonstrates how contemporary Hacktivists are
developing software that promises to offer realistic service
infrastrucutures. When I interviewed Charlie Gere in 2012[8] he said that
these artists "are not part of the restricted economy of exchange, profit,
and return that is at the heart of capitalism, and to which everything else
ends up being subordinated and subsumed. Thus they find an enclave away
from total subsumption not outside of the market, but at its technical
core." For me, this kind of work is of central importance to the
contemporary era, and it only occurs where artists cross over into
territories where their knowledge of networks directly contributes to the
building of alternative structures of social independence."

Now I'm wondering if any one knows whether the project carried on, or
developed into something else?

chat soon.

marc