On Fri, 22 Jul 2016, at 08:28 AM, ruth catlow wrote:
> Another informative blog here from Max.
> http://networkcultures.org/moneylab/2016/07/12/%C2%ADblockchain-bureaucracy/
>
>  It certainly reflects many of my encounters with blockchain-engaged
>  types in London so far.
>  It's hard to overstate the extremities and contradictions that we've
>  encountered in this area

Yes there's a gulf between the world-changing rhetoric and the money-
grubbing behaviour that is sadly familiar from past developments in
tech. Possibly a cognitively necessary one. What's new this time around
is the full-stack entitlement to passive income and return-on-
investment.

>  The threat of this....
> "The inability to imagine alternative use cases for p2p distributed
> networks to enable greater financial inclusion, citizen empowerment or
> civil organization will lead to the inevitable commercialization and
> privatization of blockchain, and bankers will fondly remember Bitcoin
> as the greatest gift the hackers ever made."
>
> is a strong motivation for Furtherfield's work in this territory.

"Financial inclusion" is a strong driver in conventional cryptocurrency
- won't someone think of the unbanked?

Recuperation is the fate of any technology under capitalism. What's
extraordinary about this particular technology is that it turns so many
of its critics into technological determinists. That's fortunately not
the case here.

- Rob.