I think we are in a very difficult time for artists. On one hand, we are in a point where work that at least derives from our culture is having some success in the Contemporary milieu, and I can't fault people wanting to look at conventional forms of success, although I am wondering whether being connected to elite strata suggests a complicity with authoritarian neoliberalism. (I am rattling that around a bit) And then there are the avant-gardeists, media tacticians and the like (where I have lived much of my life), who feel that art is a social force. And then there is the "follow your bliss, who cares about anything resembling a living" school where some of us also go. It's a very complex matrix of causes and effects, and I think that we can play hopscotch on this archipelago of modes, and many do. but saying this, I feel like few of us who are professional at all are pure in this respect, and it's good to admit that.

However, I think that the world is entering a very tense, even dark time, and in an Adorno-esque way, perhaps it is good to consider what being committed as artists means again.