The issue of the memorials for me isn't the point - as much as there are, as far as I know, no memorials to the slaves, what they went through. I don't know how any of this can be reconciled; there's also the Vietnam War memorial wall, and no wall for the Vietnamese who died (I think someone worked on this?) I don't think there will be any healing in the South as long as these symbolic artifacts and their displacement, destruction, etc. are the focus of attention. The real issues, the divisions in the South and in America in general, are enormous. Where are the monuments to the underground railroad, to what the slaves accomplished?

There's no answer, this is a broken country - and one with an enormous amount of wealth and military materiel...

Best, Alan