u...@earthlink.net ("CK") writes:

>Basically, it appears that when a login-only attempt
>is done with pppd, there is a failure+disconnect due
>to not agreeing with PAP authentication, yet when PAP
>authentication is done, both with and without a login
>and password prompt, the ISP disconnects with a
>REQUEST DENIED.  However, the FreeBSD user-ppp never
>gets any request to do PAP authentication, and isn't
>disconnected even after receiving Terminate Requests.

Both systems start (almost) the same way, but FreeBSD
isn't asked to do PAP authentication. That already happens
in the first LCP reponse.

>LCP: deflink: SendConfigReq(1) state = Stopped
>LCP:  ACCMAP[6] 0x00000000
>LCP:  MRU[4] 1500
>LCP:  MAGICNUM[6] 0xcf3614cc
>LCP:  QUALPROTO[8] proto c025, interval 30000ms
>LCP: deflink: State change Stopped --> Req-Sent
>LCP: deflink: RecvConfigReq(1) state = Req-Sent
>LCP:  MRU[4] 1524
>LCP:  ACCMAP[6] 0x000a0000
>LCP: deflink: SendConfigAck(1) state = Req-Sent

>rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 00 04 00 00> <mru 1524> <asyncmap 0xa0000> <auth
>No auth is possible

NetBSD sends the packet twice and doesn't negotiate MRU (probably
because 1500 is the default). But the peer answers differently
although the ConfReq doesn't give a reason for this difference.

So I can only guess that anything happening before PPP starts already
tries to authenticate with the peer and that's where both systems behave
differently (and FreeBSD succeeded).

>lock debug kdebug 4
>tty00 57600 crtscts
>connect '/usr/sbin/chat -vf /etc/ppp/chat'

You could try to log the initial conversation done by 'chat' and
the FreeBSD equivalent.

N.B. according to your log FreeBSD only gets a Terminate Request
for the CCP protocol, not for LCP. That's why the there is no

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlel...@serpens.de