At Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:00:50 -0400, Andrew Cagney <andrew.cag...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Subject: Re: cvs better than git?

> On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 23:23, Mayuresh <mayur...@acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 03:42:44PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > > For pkgsrc I prefer the git mirror, as I don't have to push anything
> > > anyway and a few hours of latency doesn't matter to me.
> >
> > Don't know whether it's relevant to say on this thread. May be it is.
> >
> > When I use pkgsrc git mirror, after every few days I get this error when I
> > pull: "fatal: refusing to merge unrelated histories"
>
> It isn't you.
>
> This is a problem with the script that converts the repo from CVS (be it HG
> or GIT).  For some reason, from time to time, commit history gets a
> complete rewrite.

It is probably not the fault of the conversion process, nor CVS per se.

It's probably someone, i.e. some NetBSD developer with sufficient
privileges, messing around directly in the CVS repository and doing
things that are contrary to even CVS best practices, let alone what's
good for a repo that undergoes regular conversion.  Such conversion
processes typically require absolutely frozen and stable history, and
often even innocuous-seeming changes can cause a ripple in the middle of
the history that must then cause all the changeset hashes to be
recomputed.  Only sometimes, and only with extreme care, can such
conversion processes be used securely for any kind of continuous
migration.  I've witnessed this regularly with the little tiny SCCS to
Git conversion tool I've been maintaining.

There's really no point to actually trying to use the Git repos for
anything except infrequent testing, and possibly no point to using the
Hg repos either, until the conversion is 100% frozen with no possibility
of any new change ever being introduced to the original CVS repo again.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods <gwo...@acm.org>

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <wo...@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <wo...@planix.com>     Avoncote Farms <wo...@avoncote.ca>