At Fri, 19 Jun 2020 09:56:50 +1000, Paul Ripke <s...@stix.id.au> wrote:
Subject: Re: cvs better than git?

> I've tripped over this, too. I use git specifically for speed, having
> just spinning rust and no ssd means other VCS are atrociously slow.
> I got annoyed enough that I figured a clean way out without blowing the
> repo away and refetching:
>
> https://www.stix.id.au/wiki/git_pull_merge_conflicts
>
> Basically, recreating a clean branch tied to the remote branch.
> I'm now "comfortable" enough with git that I haven't had to blow my
> repo away and start again, except in one case of a corrupted repo
> which I managed to pin on bad RAM.

Ah, yes, that should work well!

I use a little add-on called git-up(1), which automatically does the
stash/unstash part.  It should probably also do the re-creation of the
local tracking branch too, and in fact it could always do that under
normal circumstances, just for safety (i.e. make the assumption that one
never commits to the local tracking branch of any repository you don't
normally also push to so there should never be any need to rebase or
merge it).

(1) git-up is:

        $ pip show git-up
        Name: git-up