On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 15:38:05 +0000, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:

> Without any intention of stealing the topic, talking about vioscsi, I found
> a small curio today - my disks attached to vioscsi are detected only when my
> VirtualBox host is configured to use UEFI (and that is the sole difference).
> In both cases I see the message 'generic HBA error' on vioscsi0 probe, but
> in the BIOS case the disk is not detected at all. In the UEFI case, it
> works, although during the installation one sees an endless sequence of
>
>    vioscsi0: autoconfiguration error: error reserving 35 (nsegs 35)
>    sd0(vioscsi0:0:0:0): adapter resource shortage
>
> messages, but the installation eventually succeeds

FWIF, on what is to be VBox 7 I have netbsd vm (currentish kernel)
with root on vioscsi.  generic HBA error is our scsipi trying to use
SCSI_MAINTENANCE_IN and SCSI_MODE_SENSE_6.

virtio1 at pci0 dev 15 function 0
virtio1: SCSI device (rev. 0x01)
vioscsi0 at virtio1: features: 0x100000000
vioscsi0: cmd_per_lun 128 qsize 1024 seg_max 126 max_target 2 max_lun 1
virtio1: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 23
scsibus0 at vioscsi0: 3 targets, 2 luns per target
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <VBOX, HARDDISK, 1.0> disk fixed
sd0(vioscsi0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
sd0: fabricating a geometry
sd0: 16384 MB, 16384 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 33554432 sectors
sd0(vioscsi0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
sd0: fabricating a geometry
sd0: async, 8-bit transfers, tagged queueing
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b

> (one still needs fixed ip
> address setup, as dhcpcd is for some reason failing with vioif0, giving me a
> useless APIPA address, using a bridged networking to a WiFi adapter on a
> Windos 10 VirtualBox host).

Does the same problem exist with other network card type?  "Bridged to
wifi" is a bit fragile and doesn't work correctly with some routers
that try to optimize for performance and ignore broadcast flag in the
DHCP request.

-uwe