As a new version it's started with new user, cache dirs, I chose to import settings from 12.0, then I continued working on my usual projects. I only use the default LAF (light version, not dark).

To be honest, I doubt it has to do with 12.1 update, probably an issue (race condition?) I've encountered by chance just that one time.

There was another one though I've reported, that's happened several times with the 12.1 and it appears to be related to the UI:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-4623