On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 08:43:06PM +0100, Jiri Benc wrote:
> I didn't mean channels, just frequencies. To be conformal with standards
> and regulations, we can allow specific frequencies only. Those
> frequencies are unambiguously mapped to channels anyway (you have to
> specify a band of course). So I see no point in specifying frequencies
> from userspace, channels should be enough.

While frequencies map cleanly to channels, the other direction is more
difficult, as different bands have the same channel numbers.  This isn't
theoretical -- 802.11j's lower 5.0Ghz band uses "channels" 8-16,
directly clashing with 802.11-1999's 2.4GHz use of channels 8-14.

(That's before we even begin to start talking about 802.11j's concept of
 both 20MHz and 10MHz-wide channels..)

It makes more sense to specify the frequency, as there is no ambiguity
there at all (and saves us having to specify a [band,channel] pair each
time) -- it's trivial to map this into a prettier end-user
representation, but that should happen in userland, and not be hardwired
into the underlying API/ABI or kernel itself.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                                   ICQ: 1318344
Melbourne, FL