On Thu, 2006-09-02 at 13:08 +0300, Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> > I am not aware of anyone using it
>
> So, do not worry. The feature is dead.

I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about the > 32
groups.

> Sending to multiple groups
> never was used in real life and now it just does not exist, as it should
> happen with useless features.

_I_ use it although i am not aware of anyone else (but since you put it
in libnetlink, i suspect there may be other people) - so it is not
totally useless ;->
[It is useful for selectively sending messages to different process
groups using a single socket].

Note: Dave made a similar comment to yours; so i am fine working around
this and use the konnector for example (which provides this
functionality).

The other idea i was tossing in my brain cells was using an xcast scheme
to sendmsg by introducing a new structure which would allow explicitly
listing > 1 groups and > 1 pid.

> It is sad, that dead nl_groups stays in struct sockaddr_nl, of course.

Its value has been highly reduced for sure.
Let me know your thoughts on the xcast idea.

cheers,
jamal