Hello!

> _I_ use it although i am not aware of anyone else (but since you put it
> in libnetlink, i suspect there may be other people

No, really. It just was easy, but there were no specific applications.
It is important for listener to be able to subscribe to many groups,
but sending is apparently optional, provided receiver subscribes
to correct set of groups.

> [It is useful for selectively sending messages to different process
> groups using a single socket].

Frankly speaking, I would reorganize application protocol, so that
set of all the groups, which are you going to send to, forms one more
group and you just send to this super-group. Apparently, receivers
must be aware of this convention.

> The other idea i was tossing in my brain cells was using an xcast scheme
> to sendmsg by introducing a new structure which would allow explicitly
> listing > 1 groups and > 1 pid.

Well, if this is really necessary, it is not difficult. But it still
looks as a workaround for some badness in application protocol.

Alexey