On Wed, 2016-11-30 at 23:30 +0100, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 11:30:00 -0800
> Eric Dumazet <eric.duma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2016-11-30 at 20:17 +0100, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> >
> > > Don't take is as critique Eric.  I was hoping your patch would have
> > > solved this issue of being sensitive to TX completion adjustments.  You
> > > usually have good solutions for difficult issues. I basically rejected
> > > Achiad's approach/patch because it was too sensitive to these kind of
> > > adjustments.
> >
> > Well, this patch can hurt latencies, because a doorbell can be delayed,
> > and softirqs can be delayed by many hundred of usec in some cases.
> >
> > I would not enable this behavior by default.
>
> What about another scheme, where dev_hard_start_xmit() can return an
> indication that driver choose not to flush (based on TX queue depth),
> and there by requesting stack to call flush at a later point.
>
> Would that introduce less latency issues?

Again, how is it going to change anything when your netperf UDP sends
one packet at a time ?

qdisc gets one packet , dequeue it immediately.

No pressure. -> doorbell will be sent as before.

Some TX producers do not even use a qdisc to begin with.

Please think of a solution that does not involve qdisc layer at all.