On 04/25/2017 10:06 AM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
Hi!

This series is an attempt to make XDP more user friendly by
enabling exploiting the recently added netlink extended ACK
reporting to carry messages to user space.

I made iproute2 parse the extended messages and have it showing
the errors like this:

# ip link set dev p4p1 xdp obj ipip_prepend.o sec ".text"
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument (MTU too large w/ XDP enabled)

Where the message is coming directly from the driver.  There could
still be a bit of a leap for a complete novice from the message
above to the right settings.  I wonder if it would be worthwhile

But still 100x better than the current situation. ;) I really
like the series, thanks for working on this!

adding #defines for the most common configuration conflicts?
Sharing the messages verbatim between drivers could make them easier
to google.

Makes sense, once more drivers adapt to this reporting, these
messages could be consolidated.

Also - is anyone working on adding proper extack support to iproute2?
The code I have right now is a bit of a hack...

Jakub Kicinski (4):
   netlink: make extended ACK setting NULL-friendly
   xdp: propagate extended ack to XDP setup
   nfp: make use of extended ack message reporting
   virtio_net: make use of extended ack message reporting

  drivers/net/ethernet/netronome/nfp/nfp_net.h       |  3 ++-
  .../net/ethernet/netronome/nfp/nfp_net_common.c    | 22 +++++++++++++---------
  .../net/ethernet/netronome/nfp/nfp_net_ethtool.c   |  4 ++--
  drivers/net/virtio_net.c                           | 11 +++++++----
  include/linux/netdevice.h                          | 10 ++++++++--
  include/linux/netlink.h                            | 12 ++++++++----
  net/core/dev.c                                     |  5 ++++-
  net/core/rtnetlink.c                               | 13 ++++++++-----