David Miller wrote:
From: Rick Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 10:55:16 -0700

Is this really necessary? I thought that the problems with ABC were in trying to apply byte-based heuristics from the RFC(s) to a packet-oritented cwnd in the stack?

This is receiver side, and helps a sender who does congestion
control based upon packet counting like Linux does.   It really
is less related to ABC than Alexey implies, we've always had
this kind of problem as I mentioned in previous talks in the
past on this issue.

For a connection receiving nothing but sub-MSS segments this is going to non-trivially increase the number of ACKs sent no? I would expect an unpleasant increase in service demands on something like a "burst enabled" (./configure --enable-burst) netperf TCP_RR test:

netperf -t TCP_RR -H foo -- -b N   # N > 1

to increase as a result. Pipelined HTTP would be like that, some NFS over TCP stuff too, maybe X traffic, other "transactional" workloads as well - maybe Tuxeudo.

rick jones