Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:
Hello!

Of course, number of ACK increases. It is the goal. :-)

unpleasant increase in service demands on something like a "burst enabled" (./configure --enable-burst) netperf TCP_RR test:

netperf -t TCP_RR -H foo -- -b N   # N > 1

foo=localhost

There isn't any sort of clever short-circuiting in loopback is there? I do like the convenience of testing things over loopback, but always fret about not including drivers and actual hardware interrupts etc.

b       patched         orig
2       105874.83       105143.71
3       114208.53       114023.07
4       120493.99       120851.27
5       128087.48       128573.33
10      151328.48       151056.00

Probably, the test is done wrong. But I see no difference.

Regardless, kudos for running the test. The only thing missing is the -c and -C options to enable the CPU utilization measurements which will then give the service demand on a CPU time per transaction basis. Or was this a UP system that was taken to CPU saturation?

to increase as a result. Pipelined HTTP would be like that, some NFS over TCP stuff too, maybe X traffic,

X will be excited about better latency.

What's about protocols not interested in latency, they will be a little
happier, if transactions are processed asynchronously.

What i'm thinking about isn't so much about the latency as it is the aggregate throughput a system can do with lots of these protocols/connections going at the same time. Hence the concern about increases in service demand.

But actually, it is not about increasing/decreasing number of ACKs.
It is about killing that pain in ass which we used to have because
we pretended to be too smart.

:)

rick jones