On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 09:01:16AM +0300, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 2:03 AM, Samudrala, Sridhar
> <sridhar.samudr...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> > I meant between PFs on 2 compute nodes.
>
> If the PF serves as uplink rep, it functions as  a switch port -- applications
> don't run on switch ports. One way to get apps to run on the host in switchdev
> mode is probe one of the VFs there.
>

> [...]
>
> > By smartnic env, i guess you are referring to OVS control plane also running
> > on the NIC.
>
> correct

Not just OvS, but other applications running on the SmartNIC could use tc for
programming hardware can benefit from a design like this.

> > I will look forward to your patches.
>
> FWIW, note that my patches don't bring any newz for you.. I am aligning
> mlx5 with what was agreed on netdev, e.g nfp does it (uplink rep and
> such) already.

Probably not major news from us either since this was discussed at the last
NetConf, but we are planning to have this option for SmartNICs or PCI-multihost
NICs, too.