Stefan Rompf wrote:
Am Montag, 9. Oktober 2006 13:49 schrieb Johannes Berg:

Yeah, probably makes sense. Though, maybe not just the band but a set of
channels instead?

Yes, this would allow us to keep the definition of a band out of kernel. But to distinguish between 802.11 b and g, we'd need a set of channels and allowed modulations. I haven't looked at Larry's regulatory domain stuff yet, but maybe band selection could use the same data structure. cfg80211 would then just calculate the intersection of user supplied set and set permitted by regulations.

Hopefully there is no country that forbids the user *NOT* to scan a specific channel ;)

Passive scanning is always allowed, AFAIK. Active scanning is a different matter. In the US, no one is allowed to active scan channels 12-14. In addition, there are a number of countries where the regulations prohibit active scanning in some or all of the 5 GHz bands.

Larry