On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 03:05:50PM +0100, Jiri Benc wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:16:57 +0000
> Christoph Hellwig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The most important merge requirement is to not break userspace.  That means
> > proper support of WE (hopefully via cfg80211), and a single ethX network
> > device.
>
> Sounds reasonable. Though:
> - I don't think ethX is the appropriate name. It's not an ethernet
>   device and many wireless drivers currently use wlanX name. I think
>   the current wlanX name is a better choice here.

This is not about the name that makes sense.  I think using ethX names
for wireless devices is utterly stupid, but it's what all current upstream
drivers do, and at least for WE compat we'll have to stick to it.

> - Single device is not as easy as it sounds. It would require rather
>   invasive changes in the networking core or ugly hacks in d80211. I'm
>   afraid this is something not achievable in a near future with current
>   number of people working on d80211. But in general, it's doable and
>   desirable, yes.

Again, I'm not sure it's even desirable in the end.  We do however need
a mode in which you can configure a single ethX device with WE and it'll
just work.  It's entirely reasonable to only support a subset of the
functionality that way (no 802.11n, no AP mode, etc)