On 05/06/15 10:14, Thomas Graf wrote:
As I mentioned to Robert, the new RTA_ENCAP should be a list of
Netlink attributes from the beginning to make it extendible without
ever breaking user ABI.

Just to be clear in both of our approaches, the contents of the RTA_ENCAP data is interpreted by the encap owner. Therefore, if the mpls encap doesn't consist of nested attributes then it doesn't preculde vxlan, for example, consisting of nested attributes.

I do agree though that the netlink format for specifying mpls encap should support nested attributes from day 1 to allow it to be extended without breaking the ABI.

Thanks,
Rob