On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:50:18AM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 12:36:36PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 June 2002 11.46, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> > So the question to the Netfilter core team is if it would be OK to add
> > a new option and "module class" to the userspace tools, and have the
> > existing IPT_CONTINUE targets dual-register as both a target and a
> > match. I can try to whip something together if this is seen as
> > something acceptable. Should be fully backwards/forward compatible
> > with existing rulesets with only a minimal amount of code
> > duplication. The only compability issue is that if you make use the
> > new feature then you cannot go back to a older userspace or kernel..
>
> I for one would second a feature like this. I see a good number of places
> where it could be used (the long standing missing -l option is one example)

It is definitely useful.  I'd love to have this additional flexibility.
A couple of issues, though:

1) definitely 2.5.x thing - thus it should wait until pkt_tables becomes
   more apparent
2) I think this heavily confuses users, since a target can now be used
   as a 'match'.  The current concept of netfilter/iptables is very
   clear and well-defined.  Adding kludges like this sort-of breaks this
   concept...

--
Live long and prosper
- Harald Welte / [EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://www.gnumonks.org/