My impression is that my undergraduate students are always connected -- at
least those living on campus -- but I have not surveyed them.  I have had
graduate students who could not afford internet access at home and so were
connected only on campus, but I do not know how common that is.

I am curious why it is not desirable to simply package core extensions,
following the current practice.  Fetching extensions seems to raise all
kinds of potential issues, including versioning issues.

Alan