Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:
> I strongly object to using
> extensions because they are not part of YANG.  They
> cannot be used properly in refine-stmt or deviate-stmt.
> They can be ignored by YANG tools.

Putting the ephemeral question aside for a moment, and focusing on
extensions.

The original intention with the extension statement was that they
could be used for normative semantics, which is also evident from NACM
and ietf-system etc.

So if the text is unclear in this regard, we should clarify this.
Juergen already provided text.

> Extensions are fine for proprietary usage, but not standards.

6020 says:

   YANG is an extensible language, allowing extension statements to be
   defined by standards bodies, vendors, and individuals.

It is pretty clear that the intention was not that this is for vendors
only.